When someone is forced to relinquish their rights or property, understanding the legal basis, appraisal process and disbursement practices involved is essential to protecting everyone’s interests.
This has been one of Harris’s key legal practice areas for generations. We have represented, and continue to assist, landowners in most of the large expropriation cases in Bergen, Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane.
Our expropriation team currently consists of seven attorneys, of whom two are qualified to appear before the Supreme Court of Norway.
Examples of larger expropriation cases we have been, or currently are, involved in include:
- The main routes to Bergen, including Ringvei Vest and Sotrasambandet, as well as other substantial road projects in Bergen and Hordaland.
- The Bergen Light Rail.
- The Hardanger Bridge.
- Development of Førde and Sogndal over the past 30 years and most of the large road projects in Sogn og Fjordane during the same period.
- Various power line assessments in Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane, such as Sima–Samnanger, Ørskog–Sogndal, Modalen–Mongstad and Mongstad–Kollsnes, and Granvin–Voss.
- Wind power projects and hydropower development on waterways, such as on the Kløvtveit watercourse.
- Providing assistance in connection with entering into agreements and the expropriation of mineral rights in Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane, including Hardanger and Engebøfeltet.
- Assistance in connection with the establishment of industrial projects, such as the Lutelandet, Moskog and Fossheim projects.
In addition to these larger cases, we continually provide support in connection with smaller assessment and expropriation cases.
Landowners who are subjected to expropriation are entitled to have their legal costs covered.
Learn more about the expropriation process and property owners’ rights here.
Relevant articles on expropriation: